Greeks say family more important than person’s name

Colby Spillers said he doesn’t know Carissa Sawyer, but when he heard she was in a car accident, it didn’t matter.

Spillers is a Kappa Alpha member who participated in his fraternity’s fundraiser for Sawyer, a freshman sorority member who was injured in a car accident last week.

“We heard about what happened and we decided to raise money for her medical bills,” said Spillers, a senior construction management major.

The details of Sawyer’s condition are currently not available. Spillers said other Greek organizations know little as well, but it was still important for them to step in.

From Left to Right: Kappa Alpha member Colby Spillers washes another student’s car in support of Alpha Omicron Pi member Carissa Sawyer.

“When something like his happens, it’s good to be a community and show our support for one another,” Spillers said.

They decided to show their support by doing a car wash for Sawyer, and they raised $1200 within one day.

Haley Plunkett is one of Sawyer’s sorority sisters. She said Sawyer was recently accepted into the organization, which made her accident a hard pill to swallow.

“We just had recruitment and we extended the bid to Carissa,” said Plunkett, a junior communications major. “When we did that we were asking her to be a part of our family, so this whole wreck situation affects our sorority and sisterhood.”

Plunkett’s chapter aren’t the only ones feeling hurt. Every AOIII chapter in the state has heard about Sawyer’s accident too, according to Lambda Tau Chapter Ellen Cook.

“I have received heartwarming messages on Facebook from not only Monroe residents, but people across the country offering their prayers and support,” Cook said.

Cook also said their chapter has set up a “gofundme” account for Sawyer called, “Come together for Carissa.” Anyone can go to gofudme.com/prayforcarissa to donate money towards Sawyer and her family.

She said local businesses like Newks Eatery, have also reached out to the chapter to help raise money for Sawyer.

They will be having a fundraiser for Sawyer as well. It’s Wednesday, September 16th 5p.m.-9 p.m.

Ten percent of all proceeds will go to Sawyer and her family.

Cook said the support from the community has already made a huge impact.

“I truly believe the generosity of the community is a testament to Carissa’s unbelievable personality,” Cook said.

Plunkett said she appreciates the support from Kappa Alpha.

“It shows shows us their support for not only Carissa but all of us because we’re all going through this together,” Plunkett said.

She said while they wait to hear more about Carissa and her condition, they will continue to live up to the Greek motto, “We are a Community of One.”

She said this is also the time to live up to their sisterhood tradition and to be there for their “sister” in her time of need.

“It’s not just something we say, it’s what we do,” Plunkett said.