Schulze enters age of modern dining

Ethan Rothe has been going to Schulze cafeteria since his freshman year, so he’s familiar with the place and can point out where everything is. This semester, he walked in to a new facility.

He was surprised to see that the place he was used to seeing had picked up a new look.

Rothe, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, spoke during Schulze Cafeteria’s official grand reopening Sept. 10.

“I love the facility, and everyone is so friendly. I’ll never go hungry here on campus and I am very excited about all the new renovations,” Rothe said.

Students, faculty members and the entire community watched Rothe cut the red ribbon. Guests were also welcomed to join students for lunch and other activities that were held by Food Services and Armark.

Food Services gave away free snacks, Coca-Cola, Monster energy drinks and the DJ gave guests something to snap their fingers to while they played a variety of games.

Tommy Walpole said the grand reopen has surpassed his expectations.

“We have broken several records by the number of student faculty and staff coming through the building,” said Walpole, executive director of auxiliary enterprises.

He said it wasn’t about the numbers, rather he was just happy to see people coming in.

“It just lets you know how many people are enjoying the facility, and are really enjoying it,” Walpole said.

Andrew Khong said he was enjoying the campus’ interaction.

“I think it is a lot better than last year. When I was a freshman they didn’t do much, now when I see all these festivities, I think it’s very cool,” said Khong, a sophomore biology major.

Jessica Pratt, Aramark’s District Marketing Manager, said Food Services reached out to students and faculty two years ago for feedback on changes they wanted to see.

“A lot of it [changes] was a big result of everything we had gathered from our students and getting feedback from them and then trying to figure out what we could do to make sure we were giving them the best offerings that we could,” Pratt said.

Schulze renovations cost two-million dollars. Robert Hoag, director of campus dining service, said Starbucks and Hawk’s Nest will undergo renovations starting next summer.