Voters voice their opinions on upcoming governor’s race

The race to the governor’s mansion is in full-swing. Nine candidates will spend the next 33 days in a marathon of campaigning and debating for the top job in Louisiana.

Three Republicans, three Democrats and three candidates with no or “other” political party affiliation qualify for the primary election on Oct. 24 to replace our current governor, Bobby Jindal, who is not eligible for re-election due to term limits.

Four major candidates have the appropriate resources and are well-financed enough to make an impact on election day. These include: Public Service Commissioner Scott Angelle, Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne, State Rep. John Bel Edwards and U.S. Sen. David Vitter.

Other candidates are also qualified for the race but aren’t expected to reach wide groups of voters.

Joshua Stockley, associate professor of political science said its important for informed voters to participate.

“Those who use government will get something back from government,” Stockley said.

Public Service Commissioner Scott Angelle’s will “call the legislature into session to enact fiscal reform” according to his website.

He talks in detail providing opportunities for a diverse economy to strengthen the middle class and grow the economy.

Angelle believes Louisiana needs more people paying fewer taxes, instead of fewer people paying more taxes.

Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne wrote “Louisiana’s opportunity is the result of our God-given natural resources combined with the hard work of our people” in a letter to the public.

His platform expresses his proposals on how to improve ethics, education and transportation.

Dardenne lists higher education as a top priority and is the only candidate choosing to support the current Common Core standards.

Olivia Sage, junior political science major, said she is supporting John Bel Edwards because of how he acts upon his different values.

“He has time after time taken a stance for education and for reforming the awful education budget that has led to public schools and universities all over the state to have serious issues,” Sage said.

Ash Aulds, graduate business administration major, is backing David Vitter. “He’s proven over his time in the U.S. Senate that he’s not afraid to buck the system. Senator Vitter has vowed to stabilize higher education spending, and I believe he will stand by his decision.”

The last day to register to vote is Wed. Sept. 24.