Football recruitment looms as difficult as Alabama but hurdle can be cleared

The Warhawks football recruiting class does not rank incredibly high, and few players have committed to ULM as of yet, but that is no cause to worry.

The past week head coach Todd Berry, along with his assistant coaches, combed North Louisiana and the I-20 corridor looking for potential prospects.

Over the week four two-star recruits made verbal commitments to ULM, but that by no means garuantees they’ll put the pads on for the Warhawks in the future.

Of the eleven teams in the Sunbelt Conference ULM ranks ninth when it comes to their 2016 recruiting class according to Per Rivals.com.

With just four verbal commitments the Warhawks fall below the current average number of seven in the Sunbelt Conference.

Only three teams have over double digits including Texas State at 19, Arkansas at 18, and Georgia Southern at 12.

Berry enters the season in his sixth year at the helm of ULM’s football program, and has shown a propensity throughout his career to coach young players to success.

Despite facing obstacles ranging from restrictions on visits, low recruitment budgets, and relatively high academic admissions standards ULM manages to find talent.

Berry’s history of coaching up young players goes back to his time at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

There he led quarterbacks Omar Clayton and Mike Clausen to become the best duo in the Mountain West Conference and Clausen to become UNLV’s all-time leader in completion percentage.

In his first season as head coach Berry led eventual star Kolton Browning to Louisiana Freshman of the Year honors as well as finishing third in total offense in the NCAA.

The 2012 season proved to be one of the most memorable in school history.

After an early upset of #8 Arkansas the team brought #6 Auburn to overtime and came within five points of Baylor.

The team went to its first ever FBS bowl game eventually losing to the Ohio Bobcats.

Despite an athletic budget that ranks as the lowest among FBS members, ULM enjoys a remarkable amount of success.

Recruitment may prove a daunting task, but prospects can enter Malone Stadium knowing they’re walking into a winning environment.