SGA enters new ‘stage’ with 9 freshmen senators

Catherine Frazier said she noticed that student government is much different from when she was in high school, but she’s not letting that get in her way.

“I definitely look forward to meeting new people and working hard for ULM,” said Frazier, a freshman English major. “There are so many opportunities to experience new things in student government.”

Frazier is one of nine freshmen senators who were elected in what SGA adviser Laura Knotts called, one of the “most active elections” she has seen during her time at ULM.

Frazier said she is thankful for the opportunity to “continue serving” the student community in college and is  eager to start carrying out her duties.

Three students, including Frazier, were elected from each of ULM’s three colleges to serve on SGA.

Joining Frazier from the College of Arts, Education and Sciences are Brian Jenkins, a Biology major, and Laura Beth Aulds, also a Biology major.

Baylee Howell, political science major, Taylor McGuffee, business administration major and Joseph Walker, risk management and insurance major, are the new senators from the College of Business and Social Sciences.

From the College of Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences are Hannah Walters, a pre-nursing major, Shelby Carrier, a pre-pharmacy major and Kati Haltom, a dental hygiene major.

SGA  also discussed their plans for Homecoming this week.

One of the main events will be the unveiling of the new permanent stage in the Grove.

The Grove is an area where student groups and alumni gather before football games to tailgate.

Last year, the SGA Senate decided that the stage would be a way to invest in the university’s student life.

SGA adviser Laura Knotts said the stage will be used for providing entertainment at tailgating before games and will be made available to the surrouding community.

“This will open up the grove as a viable place for non-tailgating events,” Jennings said. “It’ll make it a lot easier to use the area, and I’m sure we will think up tons of uses for it.”