‘Zumbathon’ benefits breast cancer foundation’

Breaking a sweat was the least of Theodora Amuah’s worries as she danced for a cure on Saturday.

“I loved the turnout, there were a lot of people who were interested in keeping their buddies healthy,” said Theordora Amuah, a freshman communications major.

Amuah participated in Saturday’s Zumbathon, sponsored by ULM’s Chi Tau Epsilon Society, Dance Rep Ensemble and instructor Kelseia Ellison.

The event promotes exercising and healthy living and raising money for the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Amuah said she enjoyed working up a sweat because she knew she was contributing to a great cause.

“A lot of people suffer and aren’t tended to so for the organization [Chi Tau Epsilon] to come up with such an idea is a great thing to do,” Amuah said.

ZUMBA
Professor Tina Mullone dances with her students at Saturday’s Zumbathon.

The Susan G. Komen foundation is a non-profit organizatioin dedicated to saving lives and ending breast cancer, something Kelseia Ellison is all for. ZUMBA1

“My mom was actually diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012 and it motivated me to want to do more in the community and to teach people more about breast cancer,” Ellison said.

Ellison is an ULM alumnus and former member of Chi Tau Epsilon and Dance Rep Ensemble.

“I’ve always loved being apart of this organization and dancing with Rep, which is one of the reasons why I chose them to partner with me in this event,” Ellison said.

Melissa Snelling is the president of Chi Tau Epsilon who said when she got the call from Ellison to do this event, it was one her organziation couldn’t pass up.

“It’s great to be able to help promote dane on the campus and in the community and also raise money for Susan G. Komen,” said Snelling, a senior kinesiology major.

Snelling said this is the first year they are doing this event and they hope to make it annual.

Amuah said she hopes she gets the opportunity to do this with her organization until she graduates.

“If it’s done annually, more money for them [Susan G. Komen], and more healing too,” Amuah said.