Volleyball fails to tame wolf pack

The volleyball team snapped a seven game losing streak Monday night against Grambling State before falling to top seeded Arkansas State Friday.

In their match against Grambling State ULM built an early 18-5 lead.

After a few kills by the Tigers brought the score to 24-9 the Warhawks closed the set on a double block by Kaitlyn Shearer and Hadley Swartz.

The attack was led by Shearer who recorded five kills in the first.

“My setters and the passing of my teammates led to my offensive success. Everything just flowed and was loose,” Shearer said.

The Warhawks continued their dominance versus Grambling in the second building a 15-10 lead.

Kills by five different Warhawks closed out the set in a 25-14 ULM victory.

Entering into the third ULM showed no sign of slowing down their attack.

Shearer, Swartz, and Sarah Wood each recorded early kills and gave the Warhawks a 7-2 advantage.

With the score at 17-8 late in the third the Warhawks went on an 8-1 run to close out the match.

Coach Patrick Hiltz was pleased with what he saw from his team.

“Energy and focus were good. We’re just trying to stay positive on our side. I think that’s going to be key for us moving forward,” Hiltz said.

Coming off of a three set sweep against Grambling State coach Hiltz felt confident in his team’s ability versus ASU.

“If we play hard and worry about what we’re doing, then we should be able to push Arkansas State. We felt we could hang with Troy, and Troy went five with Arkansas State, and I still don’t think they’re unreachable,” Hiltz said.

But the offensive firepower of the top ranked team in the Sunbelt and 13th ranked team in the nation proved too much for the Warhawks to overcome.

The Red Wolves came out hungry in the first set as they started off on a 7-2 run.

Junior Hope Pawlik answered for the Warhawks with a kill and an ace to cut the margin down to 16-13 later in the set.

The Red Wolves however came back and scored 8 of the next 11 points to end up taking the first 25-18.

With several kills by Shearer in the second ULM fought through the Red Wolves offensive power and kept it within five making it 20-15.

Shearer would end up recording four kills in the set before the Red Wolves turned it on late yet again and didn’t look back winning the second set 25-16.

In what would be the final set the Warhawks started off with a 5-3 advantage over the Wolves, however the high-powered offense of ASU started clicking once again.

The Red Wolves went on a 5-0 run to take the lead and would later take the set 25-20.

The Warhawks’ next match will be Friday against Texas State in Fant-Ewing Coliseum.