Baseball team steps up to plate for Blood Series

COURTESY%3AULM+ATHLETICS
COURTESY:ULM ATHLETICS

As the 110th World Series kicks off Tuesday night, another series on the baseball diamond will begin here at ULM.

Entering into its 10th year, the Blood Series pits the Maroon versus Gray in an intra-squad contest that shows off the roster for the upcoming season.

Coach Bruce Peddie said he feels proud of the rebuilding process his coaches put together over the fall.

“We’ve added the depth we needed, especially from the pitching side. We really filled all of our needs this year. As long as we stay healthy then we’ll be in good shape,” Peddie said.

The team brought in former University of Western Ohio pitching coach Chris Smith to shore up the team’s talent on the mound.

Smith spent two years at Western Ohio where he oversaw four First Team All-WHAC perfomers and the league’s 2015 Pitcher of the Year.

“He’s young and energized and a great teacher. The team has really taken kindly to him and we’re seeing better results at this point,” Peddie said.

Also added to the roster was short stop Nathan Reynolds.

Reynold’s family is surrounded by baseball including three uncles that work  in the MLB.

He played two years at Feather River College in Quincy, California before coming to ULM.

There he racked up 70 hits and three homers on a .359 batting average his sophomore year.

He also drew 21 walks and stole 21 out of 23 bases that season.

Along with Reynolds, several other young players stood out in Coach Peddie’s eyes.

These include Ethan Daily, Blake Buckman, Aiden Frost and Kyle Schimpf.

Buckman brings talent to the infield and Schimpf on the plate.

The team brings back a large group  of seniors and upperclassmen from which to draw experience and leadership.

“We’ve seen them really mature and understand the highs and lows of where this program’s been and where we want to get it back to,” Peddie said.

Last year the team finished with an overall record of 23-36 and an 11-19 record in the conference.

The series will begin at 6 p.m. Tuesday and continue throughout the week.

Games will be held Thursday, Friday and Saturday before concluding on Sunday.