Vandals thwart Warhawk victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vandals thwart Warhawk victory





Josh Dean

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Vandals downed ULM after taking a close game into the fourth.

Despite forcing three turnovers,  ULM had no answer for the dynamic offense of Idaho.

The Warhawks were stout defensively to begin the game but ultimately allowed the Vandals to crack it open late.

Coach Todd Berry was pleased with defensive effort but stressed his team has to seize opportunities presented to them.

“We’ve struggled getting turnovers and so that was great from the defensive vantage point.  We had a difficult time getting ourselves off the field on third down. I think third downs was the key to the game,” Berry said.

After holding Idaho to a pair of field goals their first two scoring drives ULM saw the Vandals reach the end zone their next three red zone attempts.

Idaho racked up 489 yards through  the air and 174 yards on the ground in the win.

ULM also had difficulty getting off of the field defensively on third down allowing the Vandals to complete 11-18 attempts for a 61% clip.

Offensively the Warhawks struggled to get going.

The team managed only 243 yards of offense on the night including 186 yards through the air and 57 yards with the run.

The game began with a 39 yard Vandal field goal six minutes into the first on a long 13 play drive.

After a pair of two and outs Lenzy Pickens of the ULM defense sacked the quarterback of the Vandals forcing a fumble.

Warhawk defenseman Sam Fenlason recovered giving ULM possession on the Vandals 15 yard line.

Two plays later quarterback Garrett Smith found wide reciever Marcus Green for an 11 yard touchdown.

Idaho responded with a field goal their next drive bringing the score to 7-6.

Another fumble by Idaho quarterback Matt Linehan set ULM up with great field position on the Vandal 15 yard line.

The Warhawks captalized with a 44 yard Craig Smith field goal extending the lead to 10-6.

An interception by Tre Hunter of the Warhawks on the Vandals next drive failed to produce any points and ULM was forced to punt.

On the last possession of the first half the Vandals took it the length of the field to score a touchdown and regain the lead going into halftime.

The Warhawks knotted the score at 13 on their second drive of the third quarter with a 31 yard Ford field goal.

The tie did not last long as the Vandals went right down the field their next possession ending in a 34 yard touchdown pass.

After a missed field goal Idaho struck again on a 67 yard drive culminating in a 23 yard touchdown pass.

The Warhawks failed to reach the end zone again and the game ended in a 27-13 loss.

The team will travel to ULL Oct. 31 to face the Cajuns.