Volleyball surges past Mavericks

The Warhawks beat the Mavericks of University of Texas at Arlington Saturday night in Arlington in four sets making it the first win over UTA since 2005.

Coach Patrick Hiltz said he was pleased with the mental aspect of the team’s win.

“I am obviously pleased with the win but more than anything I am pleased with how we won. We really took care of the ball tonight and played smart,” Hiltz said.

In the first set, the Warhawks came out slow with the Mavericks jumping out to a 15-4 lead.

The Mavericks did not let up and went on to take the first set 25-16 with three late kills.

Despite the rough start, junior Kaitlyn Shearer recorded three kills in the set.

The second set proved to be different as the Warhawks jumped out to  a13 -9 lead after a kill by Hope Pawlik forced UTA to call a timeout.

From there, the Mavericks tied it up and the set was back and forth.

Junior Ana Ribeiro recorded a kill to give the Warhawks the set 25-20.

The third set was another intense battle between both teams.

After breaking an 8-8 tie ULM never looked back and went on a 7-3 run late in the set.

Pawlik smashed a cross court kill to win the set at 25-19 and give ULM a 2-1 set advantage.

The fourth set was a thriller. The set was a continuous battle back and forth between both teams.

Late in the set, junior Taylor Zaeske had a  block to give the Warhawks a 20-19 lead.

Smart plays continued to be the theme of this match as Ribeiro tipped the ball in a space vacant by the Mavericks to make it 23-21.

Finally, Kaitlyn Shearer won the Warhawks the set and match with a kill making it 25-21.

Hope Pawlik had a double-double in ULM’s four set match Saturday night with 13 kills and 16 digs, meanwhile Taylor Zaeske came off the bench for a match-high 17 kills.

“I have to give a big shout out to my setter Bayleigh and my middles Kaitlyn and ‘H’  or Ribeiro. “’Bay’ and I were just connecting really well tonight,” Zaeske said.

The next match for the Warhawks will be this Thursday at home against Texas State set for 6:30 p.m.