Voters hold power to nation’s future

Politics. Interesting, boring?

Maybe it prompts tasteless memories of your great-uncle rambling on (and on) at family events. It’s not for you, and your vote doesn’t count anyway, right?

Well actually, voters have a powerful voice. As Americans, we should strive to understand our country’s laws. After all, we hold the power.

Who knows. A little understanding may spark a political interest. A crash course in American law illustrates my point.

In the beginning, the Constitution was formed. The founding writers knew their stuff, minus the hideous powdered wigs.

A need for a strong central government was obvious by the late 1700s but so was a separation of power with checks and balances.

Enter the federal government. Refresher: There are three branches of supreme government.

The legislative branch makes laws. This is Congress, comprised of the Senate and the House of Representatives.

The executive branch carries out laws. The president, vice president and cabinet members form the executive branch.

The judicial branch reviews laws. Think the Supreme Court and other federal courts.

Supreme government broadly manages the nation. They administrate and protect, but generally stay out of the state’s way. Unless a supreme law of the land is applied, such as same-sex marriage.

States and cities have their own power as well. Enter governors and their cabinet, mayors and city councils. This lets local government do their thing. For example, marijuana is legal in some states, illegal in others.

Instead of the supreme government mandating a national law, the people of each state decide. Taxes are passed, reforms made and officials placed in office all due to the voting power of the people.

This is why we vote. This is why our votes DO count. And this is why we need elected officials behaving constitutionally.

Why we need politicians upholding the nation’s welfare over their own agenda. Understanding the country’s political foundation as well as current events is essential. As college students, we should be especially interested, for we are the future of America.

Who we choose to elect will have lasting impact on our lives. And so, take a political plan of action this year.

Seek out information.

Research the candidates – presidential, state and local.

Consider a political science course.

And last but not least, read the Hawkeye! This year will be an exciting one as the politician’s campaign and states begin voting in the primary election.

Follow the Hawkeye Opinion for updates, candidate profiles, student’s political views and how politics apply to you.