Tennis set to make racket in upcoming spring season play

After making it to the  semi-finals of the Sun Belt Tournament last fall, Warhawk tennis is poised to have a strong spring showing.

The team is incredibly young and features a roster of five freshman and only one senior.

But lack of experience at the collegiate level has proven no obstacle to success for these Warhawk competitors.

SFVLQKIQDBXXFUU.20151024162051During the fall season they began to make a name for themselves and showcase their skill sets.

Freshman Iona Popescu won her first flight of the season going undefeated in her sixteen member bracket to eventually knock off a Tech player 6-0 in the championship round.

Fellow freshman Tiffany Mylonas showed her strength and resolve in netting a comeback victory in the Big Easy Fall Classic to win her second flight of the season.

Also part of the Warhawk’s squad are Stefana Andrei, Luana Stancui, Pauline Van Herck and Patricia Villar.

Villar nearly had a tournament victory at the ITA Regionals but fell short in the championship match.

Meanwhile sophomore Caitlyn Herb and senior Petra Horakova continued their success from previous seasons.

This was seen during the duo’s upset victories in women’s doubles at the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

After kocking off the number two seed in USC 8-7 the pair continued their dominance in taking down the number four seed in Wake Forest 8-5.

While they eventually fell to number fourty-one ranked Witchita State the two wins mark the most ULM has ever  had at the tournament.

Coming into the spring the team now has added experience under their belts.

They come off of a 37-23 overall team record last season and face off in their first competition on Feb. 1 at Nicholl’s State.

While ULM’s last bout against the Colonel’s ended in a 1-4 loss the contest features new faces in this matchup.

It will mark the first road game of the season before the Warhawks enjoy their next four out of six matches at home.

As basketball season rages on and excitement builds in the coliseum keep in mind that there are plenty of exhilarating moments to be seen on the clay courts.