Louisiana-style fun

Ladies arrived in their formal ball gowns while the men dressed  in suits and ties at the Student Government Association’s annual Mardi Gras Ball in the SUB Ballrooms last Thursday night.

This year’s theme was “masquerade” and guests were encouraged to wear masks.

Foods of all sorts were served from meat pies to the famous Mardi Gras King Cake. An I.D. required cash bar was also available during the ball.

The ball rooms were decorated with beads, masks and beautiful center pieces.

This ball was a first for many attendees and they really enjoyed themselves. Freshman Joseph Casso stated that the ball was “a hoot and a half!”

“I love how it’s a new experience for incoming freshman and just college people in general,” said James Harrison, a sophomore.

Students were happy to mardigraswebbe a part of a ULM tradition, and they hope it continues for years.

“It’s a good way to get everybody together. You know, have a little bit of fun, break it up from the school work all the time,” freshman Jodie Faulk said.

The Ball’s king, queen, dukes and duchesses and other krewe members created a small parade and threw beads to the partygoers.

After the parade, the Mardi Gras Court was announced.

Tyler Thomisee, a sophomore, represented the college of health and pharmaceutical sciences on the court. The honor left him speechless.

“I really don’t know what to say… I’m thankful to get the support from my friends and family and all that, that are around here… (I’m) thankful for the people that are always there for me,” said Thomisee, a sophomore.