Warhawks win first game of season

In front of a crowd of over 24,000, the ULM football team started their season off with a win last Saturday against the Southern University Jaguars by defeating them at home 38-21.

With starting running back Tyler Cain out due to NCAA eligibility issues, the Warhawks would call on Ben Luckettt who rushed for 110 yards to pick up the slack.

Also lead by quarterback Garrett Smith who threw for 208 yards and 20 completions, the Warhawks had a very strong offensive game.

Head coach of ULM football, Matt Viator, expanded on Smith’s play Saturday night.

“He can only get better in this system. He gives us a chance with his running and his throwing, He’s very competitive.”football vs. su

The Warhawks won the coin toss, but decided to defer to the second half giving the ball to the Jaguars to start the game.

After a couple of third down conversions and a 30-yard reception by Southern’s Curtlan Willams, the Jaguars took a 3-0 lead with a 42-yard field goal by Ruan Albuquerque.

ULM would respond with a 13-yard touchdown reception by Jared Mapps to make it 7-3.

After each team-exchanged possession on sloppy offensive plays, the Warhawks finally found their rhythm again with the run game.

That rhythm came in Luckett when he ran for a 30-yard touchdown with 3:16 left in the first quarter to make the score 14-3.

“It felt good to be able to get that touchdown for the team early and liven the environment,” said Luckett.

The Jaguars proved that they were not to be tossed around, responding with a touchdown drive of their own when Lenerd Tillary ran for 46 yards on the drive alone. Including a 2-yard touchdown rush to cap off the drive.

After the Jaguars scored, both teams’ defenses settled down and started to force stops, including an interception for Southern’s Danny Johnson with 1:47 left in the first half. The Jaguars however could not get a score before the end of the half leaving the score at halftime 14-12 Warhawks.

In the second half, the Warhawks came out with a strong offense, moving the chains into the red zone quickly. However with it being first and goal on the Jaguars one-yard line Garrett Smith was intercepted yet again by Danny Johnson giving the Jaguars possession.

ULM regrouped however after forcing a punt, as Garret Smith connected with Marcus Green for a 28-yard touchdown pass.

After the ULM touchdown in the third quarter, both teams would trade field goals to make the score 24-15 heading into the fourth quarter.

Quarterback Garrett Smith proved his versatile skill set by not only scoring in the air but also rushing for a 13-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Southern would respond to make it only a ten-point game late with a 9-yard touchdown reception by Willie Quinn.

However ULM put the game away with a late 6-yard touchdown run by Austin Vaughn to make the final score of the game 38-21 with the Warhawks on top.

The football team was very happy with the crowd that showed up to Malone Stadium Saturday. Senior defensive back Tre Hunter talked about what the crowd can do to help a team.

“We hadn’t seen a crowd like that in along time. It brings a lot more energy to the game and makes us bring the juice to play well for the crowd,” said Hunter.

The Warhawks will also look to bring the juice against the Oklahoma Sooners at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, September 10th at 6 p.m.