Savannah Payne student support still going strong

31 Ambassadors: Bryson Belair, Michelle Mulhearn and Bryan Blanco

Savannah Payne, a student who is currently undergoing extensive treatments after a septic shock diagnosis, was the focus of 31 Ambassadors’ fundraising efforts at their second ever GratiTuesday event.

The group collected $219 in donations at Bayou Park Tuesday to help Payne’s family pay for her hospital fees.

Payne, a senior speech-language pathology major and residential life hall director, is currently at the burn unit in Shreveport for treatment.

Payne has been in critical condition since late August when she was rushed to the hospital due to seizures.

Doctors discovered Payne had a staph infection in addition to strep, but severe side effects from certain medications and treatments to lower her body temperature forced doctors and her parents to make the tough decision of amputating parts of her arms and legs.

Due to the large outreach of supporters, Payne’s parents are keeping the public updated through a Facebook page called “Prayers for Savannah Payne.”

Although Payne is still struggling with infection, a recent post to her support page on Facebook says she is “fighting hard.”

During the GratiTuesday event, a raffle was held for students who donated an amount of money matching their graduation year. For example, one student donated $20.18, because he expects to graduate in 2018.

The raffle prize was a gift basket, which consisted of ULM apparel, water bottles, mugs, and other ULM products.

All donors were rewarded with a GratiTuesday sticker.

31 Ambassadors also gave students the opportunity to write get-well cards to Payne.

“This year is different because everyone knows about [Savannah], and so many have been affected by this,” Nirali Patel, a 31 Ambassador member, said. “It’s a way to give back to her family.”

Brea Joyner, the committee head for Future Alumni Network of 31 Ambassadors, said this event was the most heart-felt one they’ve had so far.

“It’s even greater whenever, as students, we can come together and reach out to our fellow Warhawk – somebody who’s on our level,” Joyner said.

Joyner said she commends those who donated whatever they could and wrote a letter to Payne.