Volleyball fails in crucial moments

Photo by Siddharth Gaulee
Photo by Siddharth Gaulee
                   Photo by Siddharth Gaulee

The ULM volleyball team failed to finish its comeback effort Friday night in a five-set thriller against University of Arkansas- Little Rock. The Warhawks played an overall great game, but could not get the key plays to go their way in crucial moments.

“We just dug a little bit too much of a hole,” Head Coach Patrick Hiltz said. The first two sets were tightly contested as the visitors edged the Warhawks.

Hiltz emphasized the importance of keeping the energy positive. During the break, the team had to “regroup and realize how well we really were playing,” he added.

The great team play started with senior Hope Pawlik, who set new career highs with her 28-kill and 23-dig double-double. Tara Jenkins posted a double-double of her own with 55 assists and 12 digs. Kacey LeBlanc also recorded a new career-high 39 digs.

The Warhawks started the game hot by scoring four of the first five points. They maintained a lead throughout the first set. After losing a late four-point advantage, UALR capitalized late on a few errors as they won the set (26-24).

The second set started slowly for the team. The Trojans raced out to a 7-1 early lead. ULM responded and decreased the difference to one after a long rally midway through. A late 22-16 UALR lead proved to be too much to overcome as the last-ditch effort to take the second set fell short. UALR won (25-22).

The Warhawks returned from the break determined to battle. Their 21-14 advantage was challenged by a late push, but the damage was done. ULM won (25-22).

In the fourth, both teams were looking to either end the match or extend it to the final set. The set was a dog fight, highlighted by a controversial call which was reversed twice by officials. The call eventually went UALR’s way and made the score 19-18 in favor of the home team. The Warhawks went on to win the set (28-26).

The fifth set was tight through the first five points. The Trojans then ran away with the match. “They just came out and took it from us,” Coach Hiltz said. UALR ended the game handedly (15-7).

The Warhawks will begin a four-game road trip before returning home to host South Alabama on Friday, November 4.