Wham, bam, poetry slam

Members of Alpha phi Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta posed together

With the mic set, lights dim and the audience ready for a good show, Dynamic Phree Verse – the first ever poetry slam- was ready for show time.

The SUB ballroom event was organized by the Eta Chi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha and the Lambda Rho Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta.

The late evening event had around 25 performances including poems, spoken words and songs.

Though some performers signed up beforehand, there were a few with impromptu acts.

14881404_10205844679235163_528891110_o
Performers gathered for a group picture after the Poetry Slam (Photo courtesy by Bria Mays)

The fraternity and sorority saw the need for a change in student activity.

Jalen St. Romain, a junior kinesiology major and co-host of the event, said students needed a way to express themselves.

“This gives them an opportunity for them to express themselves,” St. Romain said.

Many of the students created an original piece for the event.

According to St. Romain, the event might be turned into an annual tradition after seeing the excellent turnout last week.

Freshman psychology major, Meeshla Russ, performed the poem “Love” and “Aye Girl,” the former being a collaboration.

Russ said “Aye Girl” was about how women are objectified and looked at for physical things.

Russ said her nerves about going on stage go away when people respond to her in a positive attitude.

Almost every performance covered a different theme and story.

Some were more romantically inclined whereas others featured topics like female strength and self-discovery.

Being black in America was also a common topic discussed and performed during the event.

De’ambra Williams, a public administration grad student, said more students should be willing to perform and show their individual talents.

Williams said her personal favorite was a poem created by student Mark Harden.

“When he delivered his poem, he got very emotional. He was very into it,” Williams said.

“He stared into the crowd, and his eyes got watery because he meant every word that he said.”

Williams added that Harden opened up to the audience on a very personal level that everyone could see.

In addition to the talented performers, members of the fraternity and sorority also provided artistic stage props, free snacks and live background music to enhance the beauty of the poetry event.

Reginald Wells, a senior communication major and member of Alpha Phi Alpha, Inc. said, the feedback was great.

Wells said instead of hosting the repeated step shows and stroll-offs, the poetry slam allowed students to see a different side of ULM.

“People loved coming and expressing in arts,” Wells said. “They want us to do it again soon…”Wells said the event will be returning soon because a lot of people wanted to come, but weren’t able to.