Christmas Lights – Where to view them this holiday season

The semester will be over soon. After the hassle of finals and planning for next semester what could be more relaxing than spending your holiday viewing Christmas lights and enjoying activities with friends and family. Here are a few local and affordable events that may keep you bust during Christmas vacation.

1. Christmas Festival of Lights (Natchitoches, LA) – This festival is not only the best and most well known throughout the state but it also boast the reputation of being the oldest holiday celebration in Louisiana. Not only can people come and enjoy the food, parades and festivities but they will also get a taste of history while in attendance. More than 100,000 visitors come each year to enjoy the light. The festival begins November 20th and last until the New Year.
  2. Festival of Lights (Baton Rouge) – This a a great event for the entire family. Visitors can go to North Boulevard where they’ll be able to view Christmas lights, art displays, parades and fireworks. This event begins on December 1st.
  3. Christmas Lights in Lafayette – Lafayette and it’s neighboring towns create a winter wonderland each year even without the snow. This city offers a Festival of Lights ceremony that includes a visit from Santa, ice skating, music and train rides.
  4. Christmas, New Orleans Style – Not only does New Orleans have some of the most unique lighting arrangements in the state but they offer some of the best shopping, food and music. Visitors will enjoy a unique celebration of holiday activities all season long. This event takes place December 1st through January 6th.
  5. Holiday Trail of Lights – Shreveport and Bossier City’s December on the Red is a glorious display of bright neon lights. These twin cities host one of the biggest local celebrations to date. This celebration includes fireworks, live performances and of course lights and shopping on the board walk. December on the Red begins on Thanksgiving and lasts throughout the holiday season.