UL-System Board searches for President

The University of Louisiana System’s presiden tial search committee sought the public’s advice this summer about the qualities it wants to see in the new ULM president. In a meeting on campus July 22, students, staff, faculty, alumni and state officials voiced their opinions on what the univer sity needs in its chief at this critical juncture.

The forum was also used to set procedures to replace James Cofer, who left after eight years at ULM. Popular both with university members and the community, Cofer assumed the presidency at Missouri State this summer.

The committee is currently screening candi dates and should produce a finalist to begin tenure by January.

Finding a “student-centered” president who will continue to grow ULM is crucial, said Brook Sebren, President of the Student Government As sociation. “Like Dr. Cofer, my drive is ‘students first.’ Students are the foundation of any univer sity.”

Collectively, the public’s ideal candidate would be a local product with university faculty experi ence. The new president should also have previ ous administrative experience and understand the need for collaborating between academic departments. Building bridges between ULM and nearby institutions, such as Delta Commu nity College, Louisiana Tech and Grambling State University, was also mentioned as a high priority.

Some argued the president needs to pay more attention to athletics than academics while others pleaded the opposite, including a special consid eration for the ongoing promotion of culture and the arts. Also important is protecting and nurtur ing the growth of ULM’s healthcare program, es pecially the College of Pharmacy – the only state-funded program of its kind in Louisiana.

“Hopefully, sometime in September and Oc tober we will bring candidates to ULM to meet with people around campus and to interview,” said ULM Faculty Senate President Dr. Anna Hill, who serves as a voting member on the presidential committee.

The presidential search commitee’s general pro cedurs are as follows: approving the procedure and a tentative timeline, eliciting the services of a search firm, hearing the public’s opinion on uni versity campus, examining applications and refer ences, interviewing candidates on campus and in Baton Rouge and then recommending at least two candidates for the Board’s consideration.

The presidential search committee has initiated an institutional review of ULM to be conducted by three UL System-selected consultants. This includes Gary Reichard, former provost and vice president of Academic Affairs for the California State University System, Aubrey Lucas, president emertitus of the University of Southern Missis sippi and Portia Shields, and former president of Albany State University.

The consultants will work independently of the committee, Dr. Hill explained.