ULM soccer team off to great start

For ULM freshman Ashley Moore, it was a brilliant start. Her lone goal was all the Warhawks needed to topple the Central Arkansas Bears 1-0 Friday at the ULM Soccer Complex.

In the game’s 30th minute, Moore found the back of the net after Bears goalie Kelsey Gochnauer could not control the ball. ULM senior midfielder Amy Porch notched the assist, the seventh of her career.

For ULM (1-0), sophomore Alex Holland picked up where she left off last season, with six saves in the full 90 minutes of play.

Holland is the main goalie following the departure of Mallory George, but she has logged some miles in that spot after compiling a 2-5-1 record last year. The Las Vegas native had her high point last year as she turned away 12 shots against Oral Roberts en route to a 52-save season.

Tiffany Bombard, a former high school teammate of Holland’s in Las Vegas, will use her aggressive scoring nature to help lead ULM on the offensive in 2010.
Central Arkansas (0-1) could not control Bombard as she took four shots, two of them on goal. However, she has scored 14 goals in her career, third best in Warhawk history, and is eight away from tying Cindy Barker’s record.

With ULM starting its season on the right foot for the fourth-straight year, the focus will now shift to a trip to Holland and Bombard’s hometown for contests against the Portland State Vikings on Aug. 27 and the UNLV Lady Rebels on Aug. 29.

The Warhawks will not return home until Sept. 3 for a match-up with the Centenary Ladies.