ULM on national universities list for second year in row

Aisha Harbor, [email protected]

ULM was named a National University for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report.

An institution that offers a full range of undergraduate majors as well as master’s and doctoral degrees is what U.S. News and World Reports defines as a National University.

Being a National University is a huge honor according to President Nick Bruno.

“It is quite an honor that the University of Louisiana Monroe is recognized as a National University for the second year in a row,” Bruno said. “Our Carnegie Foundation R3 ranking acknowledges the level of academic standards and research being conducted at ULM.”

Other Carnegie rated universities in the state include Louisiana State University rated as R1 while the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and University of New Orleans are both rated as R2 institutions.

ULM is rated as a R3 institution as of February 2016. Bruno was not the only person who felt honored by this news.

Students were glad to be going to a recognized National University.

Kayla Freemon, a sophomore prepharmacy major, was excited when she heard the news saying “ULM deserves to be named a National University and I’m glad that others are noticing it as well.”

Some students are hoping ULM can gain a higher ranking in the future.

“I was shocked they named us a National University for second year in a row, and I’m happy that we are, but it would be even better if we were R1,” said Aja Gatson, a senior radiologic technology major

ULM is working hard to gain a higher ranking according to Bruno.

“Being a National University is a tremendous distinction, but it is also a tremendous responsibility. We have an obligation to the students to do everything in our power to make them a success.”

ULM ranked number 228 in High School Counselor Rankings and number 381 in Business Programs.

graphic by Siddharth Gaulee