Georgia State spoils homecoming for Warhawks

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Siddharth Gaulee

photo by Siddharth Gaulee

photo by Siddharth Gaulee

photo by Siddharth Gaulee

The homecoming atmosphere filled Malone Stadium as the War- hawks welcomed Sun Belt opponent Georgia State.

The Warhawks got behind ear- ly, and a late push at the end of the game wasn’t enough. The Panthers dominated ULM offensively on their way to a 47-37 win. The War- hawks are now 3-3 overall and 3-1 in the Sun Belt.

“I’m disappointed in our ener- gy level,” head coach Matt Viator said. “Special teams looked good for most of the game, but we didn’t have the drive to win this game.”

The opening drive for the War- hawks stalled after coming up short on third and short. Georgia State quickly scored on a six- play, 77- yard drive on a 50-yard touchdown pass. Junior receiver Marcus Green scored on the ensuing kickoff, rum- bling 93-yards for a touchdown.

The Warhawks led 7-6 after one offensive possession. Georgia State’s offense found its groove early by scoring on a 69-yard touchdown pass to put them up 13-7 with nine

minutes to go in the first quarter. The Warhawks started their second offensive drive of the game. ULM got into a fourth down situation that resulted in intentional grounding by the offense, moving the Panthers to midfield.

The Warhawk defense showed some toughness, forcing the Pan- thers into a three and out. The punt put ULM in a tough position to start its third drive on their 1-yard line. After a 13-play, 79-yard drive, the Warhawks capped it off with a Craig Ford field goal, but they still trailed the Panthers 13-10.

In the second quarter, the War- hawks started to fall apart.

The Panthers took over the game by scoring on an eight-play, 78-yard drive running through the War- hawk defense.

Georgia State was making the game look easy as they forced an- other three and out.

Georgia State dominated the game in the first half with a tough showing from its defense. They held the Warhawks to only 10 points and 132 yards of total offense. The Pan- thers closed out the first half with

a field goal to go into the half lead- ing 26-10.

“We need to come out and have the mindset of getting a stop in the first half, but there is no excuse. We have to come out and be ready to give our offense a chance to put

points on the board,” said junior linebacker David Griffith.

In the second half, the Panthers kept their foot on the gas pedal as they scored on a 25-yard touch- down pass to increase their score to 33-10 with six minutes left in the

third quarter. The Warhawks need- ed a spark on offense to get back into the game.

Down by 23, ULM looked to ju- nior quarterback Garrett Smith to lead the offense. On his first posses- sion from scrimmage, Smith threw a pin-point 80-yard touchdown pass to Marcus Green to make the score 33-17.

The Warhawks looked to feed off the momentum produced by the quick touchdown.

Georgia State marched down the field and scored on a 22-yard touch- down pass capping off a four-play, 75-yard drive.

ULM gave a courageous effort to get back into the game, but it was too little too late. The Panthers kept a safe lead throughout the game and closed out on an impressive win.

Up next for the Warhawks is an- other conference matchup on the road against South Alabama. Kick- off is scheduled for 4 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN 3.