Pharmacy alum creates scholarship $60,000 donation

Dr. Salvador “Sal” Scaccia has donated $60,000 to the ULM Foundation, creating a new scholarship for Doctor of Pharmacy students at ULM.

Scaccia was one of the first students to graduate with a Doctorate in Pharmacy from ULM in 2002.

The new scholarship is set to be named as the TLC-Dr. Salvador Scaccia Endowed Superior Scholarship for Doctor of Pharmacy at the University of Louisiana Monroe.

Dr. Scaccia, who is currently on the Board of Directors for the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum, said, in an article published in ULM News, that his contribution was to provide better opportunities for success to students. Dr. Bruno, in the same article, said Dr. Scaccia’s step would serve as a challenge for other alumni to help their university.

Dr. Glenn Anderson, Dean of the College of Health and Pharmaceutical Science said,” Dr. Scaccia’s gift goes beyond generous. Education costs continue to rise as does the debt burden for our students. Scholarships, such the one established by Dr. Scaccia, are paramount in supporting student efforts in achieving his/her academic and career goals.”

Brittany Rider, who is in her final year of her graduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology was ecstatic to learn about the newly created scholarship by a ULM alumnus.

“This is an awesome news. Definitely, we, graduate students especially, need it. We do not get financial aid and have very limited scholarships. I do not know how much this scholarship is going to pay. But, it will help the graduate students for sure. I hope to see more scholarship opportunities for students in this department,” Rider said.

Shrill Shrestha, a freshman Computer Science major, said, “It is great to see an alumnus giving back to his alma mater. This shows how deeply the person values the time and the education he had in this university.”

“Scholarships can reduce a huge financial burden to students and their family. Besides, their eligibility and the criterions to maintain them make the students study hard and to be sincere towards their academics. I hope to see more new scholarships in different departments here in ULM because is good for both students and campus,” Shrill added.