Warhawks sneak past Golden Eagles


The Warhawks have done have it again. Storming into Hattiesburg Miss. Saturday evening, ULM pulled out yet another amazing victory in the closing seconds of the game for a second week and a row. The Warhawks were able to hold onto their dwindling single point lead as linebacker Cortez Sisco Jr. intercepted USM quarterback, Jack Abraham in the final seven seconds of the game to clinch their second win of the season in front of an away crowd of 19,579. The win marks a couple of losing streaks off ULM’s list as well, including the first victory against Southern Miss. In over three decades with their previous win coming in 1987. Another streak was snapped when they won, starting their season with a 2-0 record for the first time since 2014.

The USM Golden Eagles came out of the gate hot looking to defend their home field. Scoring on the first play from scrimmage on a 75-yard touchdown run, they wasted only 13 seconds putting up the first lead of the game.

The Warhawks were in hostile territory and knew it. After a 34 – yard post pass, that was completed to wide receiver Marcus Green from Caleb Evans, was fumbled on the 1-yard

line and recovered by USM, the Warhawks defense kicked it into high gear. Scoring off

of a fumble recovery of their own, the Warhawks tied the game up early in the first quarter, 7-7.

ULM never seemed to look back after the

early game hiccup. The Warhawks defense looked dominant, holding the USM offense to just three points in the second half while shutting down their run game.

Evans was his usual self hitting 15 of his 28 targets for 196 yards while throwing two passing touchdowns and picking up his second rushing touchdown of the season. The touchdowns were both caught by Green and counted towards his four catches for 96 receiving yards on the night. He was also responsible for a 9-yard rush of his own. 

USM came storming down the field on a 12-play drive early in the third quarter, but the Warhawks defense wasn’t exhausted yet. They held the Eagles offense to a field goal that narrowed the ULM’s lead.

Neither team was able to break away however, as the fourth quarter started with ULM holding on to a narrow one-point lead, 21-20. This is when things got really interesting.

A back and forth defensive battle raged in the fourth as time inched closer to the final second. The Warhawks looked like their backs were against the ropes as the Eagles pushed their way into ULM territory on their final drive. But, on USM’s final pass attempt before they brought out their kicker, ULM managed snag the ball to shut down USM in the closing seconds of game.

The Warhawks will look to continue their hot start as they continue their road stent. They will be heading to College Station next to face off against SEC school Texas A&M. The game is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15, and is set to kick off at 6:30 p.m.