Basketball revamps for upcoming season

It is almost that time of year where sports fan are at their happiest and college students have more events to go to.

With the basketball season just a few weeks out, students will now be able to enjoy football, volleyball and basketball at the same time. This year could be an exciting one for the fans even though they may have to look at the roster for the first few games.

This season for the Warhawks could be a rebuilding year, with only two starters returning from last years team. This year will have an entirely different look about it. The two returning this season are far from slouches. Travis Munnings led the team in points (15.9) and rebounds (7.3) last year  and was second team All-Sun Belt while also being apart of the 1,000 point club at ULM. In each of his first three seasons he has shown improvements in almost every category.

Sophomore guard Michael Ertel is back as the flor general to help ease any problems the team may have this year. Last season Ertel was named Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year averaging 11.6 points 3.1 rebounds and 2.3 assist a game. We should expect to see more of the same with higher numbers this year from him.

The team is also expecting some big help from Daishon Smith, Wichita State transfe. The 6-foot-1 combo guard is expected to help out with the scoring. Brandon Newman who averaged around 10 minutes a game last year is back to add some depth to the backcourt.

This year Coach Richard has brought quite a bit of new players, mainly guards, to help with the tempo and new style of play. Transfers JD Williams and Jontray Harris are looking to help make ULM backcourt the deepest and strongest in conference. A familiar face for the Warhawks backcourt is Darryl “Wade” Martin he can add some leadership values to the new guys coming in.

We all know that guard play is very important in basketball and with this new era the guards are taking over but you still need a reliable big man. Richard had hopes for 7 footer Sam Alabakis but he recently signed to play professional Australian Rules Football.

Alongside Munnings in the frontcourt will be transfers Youry White (Copiah-Lincoln), Andre Washington (Hill College) and Tyree White ( Mobley Area College).

With the lineup changes this year we should see a more fast paced team, that will get up and down the court. with less trouble than of years past. This roster is not as bulky as last year but that could be huge plus if the Warhawks truly decide to become a run and gun team.

This team this year could cause some problems for everyone else in the conference and could see post season play again this time in the NCAA Tourney.

The season kicks off on Nov. 1 with an exhibition game at home against Henderson State.