Activity Center to host 3rd annual fitness challenge

The third annual Fall Fitness Challenge is underway. The event is happening Oct. 22 and Oct. 23, from 4:30p.m. to 8:30p.m., at the Activity Center on campus.
Mara Brown, Assistant Director of Wellness, said that the biggest thing for people to do is to have fun.
“It’s a great way to get students involved on campus and enjoying physical activity, while reaping the benefits of some awesome ULM gear,” Brown said.
Students will test their strength and fitness by completing different challenges. A few examples are the vertical jump, push-ups, the sit and reach, the one mile run and sit-ups. The goal of the fitness challenge is to reach the highest number in each event. Points are added up, and the top three guys and the top three girls with the highest averages win prizes.It’s an unique way to get students active and inspired. The incentive of free prizes doesn’t hurt either.
Last year’s winner, Katerina Svecova, a junior pre-physical therapy major, said she’s participating again this year. “I enjoy that I can challenge myself physically and get the best out of myself. Sometimes, we are not aware of how far we can actually push our selves and what we are capable of,” Svecova said.
The first place prize includes a choice between a ULM duffel bag or backpack and a ULM jacket.The second place winners will receive either a ULM duffel bag or backpack and a ULM t-shirt. Third place gets a ULM t-shirt.
All winners earn bragging rights until the next fitness challenge, which includes getting their picture posted on the winners bracket at the Activity Center.
According to it’s website, “The department of recreational services’ primary purpose is to provide recreation and wellness programs to the university community and to support development and maintenance of a healthy lifestyle and total well being.”
The Activity Center includes an indoor track, weight lifting and cardio areas, racquetball courts and several other courts for activists.
Brown said encourages all students of all fitness types to participate. “It’s just not for the athletes, she said, “beginners to advanced can join!”