Warhawks shut down conference leaders


The Warhawks kicked butt and took names Saturday afternoon in Malone Stadium against the Sun Belt leading Georgia Southern Eagles. It was apparent early on that the Warhawks wanted to win, and they got it done. Taking down the Georgia Southern Eagles in a 41-25 victory, The Warhawks are now 5-4 on the season and 3-2 in the conference.
ULM came out of the gate fast and furious. Scoring on their first drive of the game, the Warhawks got on the board first and never looked back. With 573 yards of offense it was a dominate game for The Warhawks.
ULM looked great on both ends of the ball in the first half. Caleb Evens was on fire throwing 8-13 for 280 passing yards and two touchdowns. Evans also picked up a 5-yard rushing touchdown of his own in the opening drive of the game.
It’s safe to say that Evans was hitting his targets. He connected with Marcus Green for a huge 80-yard touchdown pass that gave the Warhawks the two-possession lead. The pass came during the first play of ULM’s second drive and gave the Warhawks a huge spark.
Green wasn’t done yet though. He caught his second big touchdown pass of the game in the second quarter as ULM broke the lead wide open. The 69-yard pass was only Green’s second of the game, but he already had a combined 149 total yards.
Despite ULM’s stellar defense, Georgia Southern finally managed to get on the board after a pass interference call saved their drive and got them into field goal range. They punched one through the uprights midway through the second quarter makeing the score 20-3.
After scoring, Georgia Southern seemed to wake up because the next touchdown of the game would come from the Eagles as they intercepted Evans with the first half ending. The pick was capped off with an unsportsmanlike conduct from ULM that gave Georgia Southern the field position to score.
The touchdowns from the Eagles didn’t stop anything though. A huge first half for the Warhawks gave them a lead going into the locker room at half time. They picked up 327 total yards of offense during the half including 277 of them coming in the air.
Holding the Eagles to only 150 total yards and 10 points in the first half, ULM looked like they were going to shut the conference leaders down with a breeze.
It didn’t take long for ULM to score in the second half. An 11 play 67-yard drive ended in a one-yard rush from Derrick Gore to give the Warhawks the 34-10 lead.
ULM looked pretty good, but never seemed to be in the clear. A couple of interceptions from Evans led to both of Georgia Sothern’s touchdowns including one that came late in the third to

close the gap 34-18.
Despite the interceptions, Evans and Co. kept things rolling along towards the victory.
They immediately answered back with another touchdown
drive that saw Evans pick up his second rushing touchdown of the game on a two-yard rush.
Georgia Southern would go on to score one more touchdown on a blocked punt attempt, but ultimately fell as they were outplayed by the Warhawks throughout the whole game. The final score read 41-25 as ULM was able to take down the Sun Belt leaders with ease.
The Warhawks will hit the road for their next game against conference rivals, the South Alabama Jaguars. The game is set to kick off in Mobile, AL on Sat, Nov. 10 at 4 p.m.