ULM hosts intramural championship

It has been 12 years since ULM hosted the Louisiana Collegiate Intramural Recreational State Associations Championships (LCIRSA). The fall sports include volleyball and flag-football and will be competed in by all the universities in the state. The state intramural championships were held at the Activity Center for volleyball play and the University Park for flag football.

ULM sent nine teams to play at state three for volleyball six for flag football. In the flag football division, ULM had three of their six teams win their side of day one.

ULM’s defending volleyball state champions on the women’s side won their division looking to make a three peat as champs.

The last time ULM hosted LCIRSA was of Spring 2007 where we crowned two champions and two runner ups. This year expects more of the same from ULM who is known to dominate at the state level and is commonly seen in the finals playing for a championship.

Taylor Ashworth of i8amegpi CO-REC flag football team said 

“It’s crazy how the tournament brings so much talent to one little area. Definitely an experience I will never forget,”

The state championships is where everyone comes to compete but more than anything it is where people go out to enjoy themselves and have fun while competing. It does not matter if you are there to spectate or there to play, getting to meet new people and compare campus lifestyles makes it all worth while. Intramurals give students at all universities an extra boost to enjoying college, because all former athletes are given another chance to play without the hassle of coaches. It also gives students the much needed break away from class. Recreation is sometimes the best relaxation.

Haylee Mayo of HitList Volleyball expressed what she likes the most about getting to compete at state. “It’s a great experience and I hope to be able to continue going to state tournaments through the rest of my time here at college.” Mayo stated “I like the fact that I got to meet new friends from other schools as well as see some old friends,”

The two day weekend event is not only beneficial for school purposes it also helps out with putting some extra funds into the city of Monroe. The schools who are from a far such as Nicholls or Northwestern State have to pay for hotels and food which help give a small finacial boom to the city.

Robert Reed Assistant Director of Recreation was glad to have LCIRSA here at ULM, “ anytime the championships can be hosted here at ULM it is a good time, with the money that has gone into the courts and fields, it is nice to showcase that we have some of the best facilities in the state.”

With the football team on the road this week students still had the opportunity to see some good quality sports action.