Bruno involved in recruiting

President is optimistic about future students

Despite budget cuts and a population decrease in North­east Louisiana, University of Louisiana at Monroe President Nick Bruno has a positive out­look for maintaining enrollment levels.

Bruno’s second concern is to raise academic standards in the years to come.

Employees for the university, including Lisa Miller, the as­sociate Provost of Enrollment and Recruitment, are just as concerned about recruiting as Bruno.

Miller says recruitment is critical in earning revenue for all universities.

“Fortunately the recruitment office has not received a reduc­tion in our funds for recruit­ment purposes,” Miller said.

She and Bruno plan to expand efforts further south, out of state and internationally, targeting areas with a lot of students, to make up for fewer applicants in the region.

They are also emphasizing al­ready existing relationships with community colleges that have students who are ready to move on.

The school is looking inter­nally for connections too.

“A lot of departments recruit, like Dr. Chandler for the choir,” Bruno said.

Some professors have shown interest in participating in out of town lectures at high schools that might attract students, as well.

Miller says that there are ways for students to get involved like the Hawkseekers and Home­town Hawks, who give campus tours and recruit at hometown high schools.

In the end, President Bruno says, “I’m optimistic that these budget issues will not go on forever. I want to make sure we have appropriate students who can be successful at ULM.”

contact Catherine Olson at

[email protected]