Plasma puts cash in students’ pockets

The impacts of the sluggish economy are being talked about all over the country.

However, rarely does the me­dia highlight the financial pinch being felt by college students today.

Many students at the Univer­sity of Louisiana at Monroe have been finding ways to get extra cash for the extras in life. One way students are earning this ex­tra cash is by donating plasma.

Whether paying for rent, tu­ition, or just a weekend excur­sion it is always nice to have a little something extra in one’s back pocket.

Talecris Plasma Center, which is located right next to campus on DeSiard St., has been run­ning specials that can give up to $110 for donations.

Tyler Blacklock, a sophomore psychology major from Forney, Texas, is a fan of donating plas­ma.

“Twice a week you can get anywhere between $75-100,” Blacklock said.

“It’s definitely worth it for college students. It’s nice to have spending money for the week­end,” she continued.

Jerry “Sweet” Golden, a se­nior mass communications ma­jor from Sulphur, doesn’t think much about donating.

“I don’t donate plasma, but if I did, I’d probably use it for a cheap date,” Golden said.

Some students would put the easily earned funds to more long term plans.

Amber Atkins, a sophomore business major from Monroe, plans on putting the money to good use.

“I would use it toward one of the trips I have planned this se­mester,” Atkins said.

Donors are required to be at least 18 years of age, weigh at least 110 pounds and pass a medical examination.

When going to the plasma center, a state I.D., social secu­rity card and proof of address are required.

Most students usually bring homework or a good book along with them as the visits