Wine Over Water raises money for scholarship

Local community members often use Bayou Desiard for photo opportunities or the occasional stroll, but Thursday gave them the chance to enjoy limitless wine alongside the sparkling bayou.

The ULM Alumni Association’s annual event, Wine Over Water, provided the community a chance to help invest in the future by giving back to ULM and its students while enjoying food from over 30 local vendors.

This chance came in the form of raising money for “The Spirit of the Warhawk” scholarship. The scholarship helps support students in and around Ouachita Parish.

This is why 31 Ambassadors graduate assistant Nirali Patel worked this event for the fourth time this year.

“There are so many students that benefit greatly from those funds and by working this event, I am able to show how thankful I am for continuous community support to the university and its students. They are the reason why the event is able to grow and in turn, aid more students,” said Patel, a public administration graduate student.

Wine at the event was provided by Southern Glazer’s Wines and Spirits, and beer was provided by Marsala Beverage Company. The wine table, as usual, saw many patrons return again and again throughout the night.

Tickets to the Bridge Party were $60 per person which included complimentary wine glasses, wine and food.

Raegan Wilson looks forward to Wine over Water and chose to work it for 31 Ambassadors again this year.

“I always have a super fun time getting to spend time and make connections with ULM alumni and staff. My favorite part about the event is getting to visit each of the local vendors’ tables and truly getting a taste of what the Monroe area has to offer,” said Wilson, a junior biology major.

Before the Bridge Party, there was a pre-event Patron Party that took place on the seventh floor of the library as usual.

Entrance to this party was $120 per person and included access to the Bridge Party, complimentary hors d’oeuvres, wine and performances by Rod Allen Payne and Trevor Davis.

Ultimately, Wilson summed up the entire event by saying, “It really brings the whole community together. The fun atmosphere and enthusiasm of everyone attending definitely makes working Wine Over Water one of the highlights of my spring semester.”