ULM, Delta unite to volunteer on MLK day of Service

ULM Hawkeye

Strauss Hall was buzzing with ULM athletes, several students and faculty packaging and loading the donations that were collected for Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service last Monday morning
For a decade, ULM and Louisiana Delta Community College have partnered on MLK Day of Service to address a need in the Monroe area.
An initiative of the Corporation for National and Community Service, MLK National Day of Service led to students from ULM and LDCC volunteer on Martin Luther King Jr. Day last Monday.
Giving their time and energy were ULM athletes, several Greek organizations, many registered student organizations and other individual students and faculty.
ULM and LDCC volunteers assisted at Grace Place Ministries Inc., which operates a soup kitchen, clothes closet, and food pantry and DeSiard Street Shelter, which provides free meals and services to the homeless.
DeSiard Street director Billy Bonner was impressed by the enthusiasm of the students and the accomplishments made in just a few hours. Thanks to the volunteers, immense progress was made toward the expansion.
Strauss Hall served as a campus and community drop-off center for items donated to Grace Place.
ULM and LDCC volunteers then delivered and unloaded the items at the designated locations. Dr. Pamela Saulsberry, the university organizer, was surprised by the amount of support we had across ULM’s campus community.
Over 100 volunteers contributed throughout the event, making it a successful cause.