Warhawks start season on fire

Srdjan Marjanovic

The ULM women’s softball team began it’s season with the ULM Mardi Gras Classic. After two days of tournament play, the Warhawks started off hot.

Day one of the tournament saw the Warhawks dominate their opponents with both games being won by the mercy rule. In game one, Southeast Missouri State fell to ULM 11- 3. Senior outfielder Brianna Love had four runs and three hits, and Tiffany Mills had six strikeouts and earned her first win of the year.

In the second game, the Warhawks shut out North­western State 8-0. Sophomore shortstop Janel Salanoa had two doubles, two runs scored and two RBIs, and freshman pitcher Stephanie Routzon won her first career game after striking out five batters and al­lowing no runs.

On Saturday, the Warhawks continued their strong play by grabbing two more victories. Southeastern Missouri State was no match for ULM as the Warhawks took a 5-1 lead into the sixth inning before adding an insurance run to finish the game 6-1.

Freshman outfielder, Miyuki Navarrette, had two hits; two runs and an RBI, and senior infielder, Jessica Olguin, had a 3-3 day with two RBIs. Pitcher Jessica Chastka picked up the win giving up one run while striking out four.

The second game against Eastern Illinois would prove to be more difficult. ULM man­aged only three hits and was down early. Fortunately for the Warhawks, Eastern Illinois committed two errors in the third inning that allowed ULM to take the lead and win the game 2-1. With the victory, Tiffany Mills picked up her second win of the season, and the Warhawks secured a 4-0 re­cord to start the season for the first time since 2006.