Student arrested, accused of raping minor teen

West Monroe police arrested a ULM student last Monday night on suspicion of third-degree rape.

The suspect, Caleb Richardson, 18, is accused of raping a minor teen on Oct. 10 at an apartment on Contempo Ave. in West Monroe, according to KNOE.

Richardson was arrested early Monday morning at the apartment on Contempo Ave. and booked at Ouachita Correctional Center, according to the arrest report. He has since bonded out.

According to to MyArklaMiss, the victim said Richardson and his friends were doing drugs in the apartment when she became tired and laid down in the living room to sleep. While trying to sleep, the victim said Richardson repeatedly climbed on top of her trying to pull her clothes off. After the victim rejected Richardson’s advances by saying, “I don’t want to do that, I just want to go to sleep,” and “I don’t want you touching me,” he reportedly began raping her. The victim woke up alone in the apartment bleeding after the incident. Blood was soaking the bed sheets. She then called a friend to take her to the hospital. 

During the investigation, a sexual assault nurse at the hospital advised officers that the victim suffered from injuries consistent with rape, according to MyArklaMiss. 

In response, ULM students protested outside the Pike fraternity house Monday night. According to students at the protest, Richardson is a member of the fraternity.

In a statement released by the university, they said they do not comment on ongoing law enforcement investigations.

President Ronald Berry said the safety of students is the number one priority.

“ULM does not tolerate assaults of any kind. We respect the authority of the judicial process and must refer any questions at this time to the 4th District Attorney’s Office,” Berry said.

University officials reported the incident to the ULM Office for Student Affairs, Advocacy and Accountability Department, Counseling Center, and Title IX officer.