Tradition vs. new age technology

Enrolling in class on campus is how the majority of college students receive their education these days although partaking in online education is starting to become a norm for students at ULM.

For junior Elizabeth Miller, a speech pathology major from Monroe, four out of her eight classes this semester are online. “Some of them wouldn’t fit my schedule; other ones, I couldn’t get the teacher I wanted,” says Miller.

Many students feel the advantage to online education is the flexibility to complete class work from anywhere. Especially for students like Miller who wish to take on a heavier load but have conflicting class times.

One downside for students who take online courses is the missed opportunity to ask questions in person to teachers. “In class you get better explanations and feedback from the teacher before assignments are due,” says Miller.

Online courses are attractive to most students because of how flexible they can be. The traditional classroom doesn’t work for all college students because many students have full time jobs or families to support.

While online classes may work for some students, many choose to pursue their education in the classroom.

Mallory George, a graduate MBA student from Littleton, Colo. feels that online courses lack a sense of involvement.

“I appreciate the social interaction with other students, the hands on approach I can take with my teachers, the set schedule and due dates, and I absolutely love in-class discussion,” says George.

Since 2008, ULM GOLD offers associates, bachelors, masters and a doctorate degree obtained completely online.

Robyn Jordan, Coordinator of Accelerated Learning in the Continuing Education Department of ULM, says: “The greatest benefit according to the student is convenience. It provides the students with the opportunity to work towards a degree online while maintaining their position in the workforce and continuing to provide for their families.”

The ULM GOLD program is intertwined with the Center for Adult Learning in Louisiana, the Louisiana Board of Regents and Southern Regional Education Board.

Geology Professor Lauri Anderson sees the benefits of both online education and a traditional classroom but ultimately believes it’s the drive in the student that makes online or classroom education work. Anderson is teaching two online GOLD courses and three hybrid courses.

“Each has its own reward. I very much enjoy the interaction with my students in my more traditional courses, but I do appreciate and love the challenge and flexibility that my online courses offer me,” says Anderson.

Today there are 713 students pursuing an online degree through ULM GOLD and enrollment has increased 28 percent from last fall. They will also be adding a bachelors and masters in kinesiology and history in the spring.