ULM kicks off new year with HUB ribbon cutting

Maggie Eubanks

Warhawks came back to their home on the bayou last Friday noticing a new look for campus. 

ULM held a ribbon cutting ceremony to commemorate the completion of the new HUB. Filled with balloons, cupcakes and cocktails, the celebration was the place to be.

Students and faculty were present at the ceremony along with community officials such as Monroe mayor Friday Ellis and Louisiana State Representative Adrian Fisher. 

The ribbon cutting was a momentous event for ULM and the culmination of years of work by two different administrations. 

Original plans for the building began under former ULM president Nick Bruno, but the construction was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fields
Estis

Although the grand opening will not occur until August 29th, the ribbon cutting ceremony marked a historic partnership between ULM and Aramark. $6 billion was given by Aramark to complete the building and give ULM the new student center it needed. In total, the project cost was around $11.6 million.

The HUB will offer five new food vendors for students including Starbucks, Subway, Flip Kitchen, Bento Sushi, Chick-fil-A and a small market for food and groceries. 

The old student union and Starbucks facilities will remain open until the grand opening on the 29th. After that, ULM President Berry announced that there will be new plans for the SUB and Starbucks buildings.

Not only does the facility offer food and study space, but it also has an LED screen on the outside of the building that will play recruiting videos for the university.

Berry

President Berry was at the HUB to celebrate, and he commented on the amazing energy present in the room and all the new amenities the building will offer.

“The energy in this room this morning is hard to describe. We hope our students realize how much we appreciate them to bring this magnificent building here for you,” Berry said. 

“There’s going to be study spaces up top where you can meet and eat to continue your education to truly become the best version of yourself.”

The opening of the HUB will mark the most significant moment in President Berry’s tenure.

The HUB is the most innovative and modern building on ULM’s campus. Along with the new services for students, the building will also make the bayou more attractive to prospective students. 

The two-story building has restaurants and food services on the bottom floor with study spaces and a picturesque balcony on the second floor. 

Every inch of the 23,000-square foot building was well utilized and planned out to ensure the building benefits students in the best way possible.

The HUB will be a place that allows ULM to step forward in a modernizing world. The architecture allows places for students to study, eat and hang out with friends in a building with an abundance of natural lighting and comfortable seating.

SGA President Ethan Estis spoke on how generations to come will use the HUB and the completion of the building marks a new precedent for the university. 

“The completion of this project sets the bar for years to follow, “ Estis said. 

“This new building will become a focal point for our students, and a central location for all and we could not be more excited.”

Estis was the representative for students at the event, and he spoke for everyone when mentioning how the building has brought excitement since its groundbreaking last year. 

Every speaker at the ribbon cutting made sure that students knew this building was created with them in mind. 

“The most important people here today are our students,” Vice President of Student Affairs Valerie Fields said. “We are so excited about them sharing in this process and helping us be able to bring this building to fruition.”

Students are excited to partake in the grand opening on the 29th and take full advantage of the building that is sure to become the center of all student events on the bayou.