Kinesiology finds a [new] home in Brown

Department moves around campus, finally settles down

After years of displacement, home is finally in sight for the ki­nesiology department.

The construction on Brown Hall’s first floor that began unex­pectedly for many students this semester is in preparation for the kinesiology department to move back into their original place on campus from the ‘60s.

The plans officially began a few years ago, with funds allocat­ed from the university, but the de­partment has been hoping for a restoration for quite some time.

Recent years have been spent organizing the move.

Meanwhile, faculty and stu­dents have been spread across campus in the coliseum and San­del Hall’s second floor.

The renovations on the long abandoned first floor will include new department and faculty offic­es.

On the second floor the kinesi­ology department will be sharing some classrooms with other de­partments.

Also, the Human Performance lab will be updated with state of the art equipment, says the de­partment head Dr. Wilson Camp­bell.

The Human Performance Lab is a facility open to anyone with a ULM ID for fitness assessments that can help predict health issues in the future.

Kinesiology faculty and stu­dents conduct basic tests that can tell people their percentage of body fat and heart rate measure­ments.

Brian Coyne, a kinesiology in­structor and the director of the lab, is also excited about getting a per­manent home on campus.

“It’s a teaching facility and a testing facility, but for the kinesi­ology majors, especially, it offers practical hands on experience,” Coyne said.

Campbell hopes that the new lab will attract students to this al­ready large department at ULM.

Jenna White from Monroe, who is working on her masters in exer­cise science, is excited about the move.

“It will give our department more of a home, and just a space for us,” White said.

So far, renovations are expect­ed to finish in June or July this year.

The department hopes to settle in by next fall.