Road struggles continue in weekend sweep

ULM Athletics

TOUGH CROWD: Sophomore guard Bre Sutton moves with the ball in front of a hostile crowd in Lafayette.

Jonah Bostick, Sports Editor

Getting on the team bus and traveling has been a struggle for the Warhawks (7-16; 3-9) this season posting a 1-7 road record.

After two more losses this past week, they still seem lost outside of Fant-Ewing Coliseum. Thursday’s matchup pitted ULM against its conference rival the Ragin’ Cajuns (14-10; 8-4), who came into the game with a four-game winning streak.

ULM aimed to snap the 16-game losing streak in the series. The game started with a 6-0 run by the Ragin’ Cajuns before the Warhawks matched it with a 6-0 run of their own. ULM responded to everything UL-Lafayette did. The scoreboard read 10-10 at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter saw the same thing, with ULM matching the Ragin’ Cajuns basket for basket. A fast-break jumper by sophomore point guard Olivia Knight put the Warhawks up by four at the half. The game slowly turned for the Ragin’ Cajuns in the third quarter as they caught up on the score. They even briefly stole the lead before two free throws by sophomore forward Katlyn Manuel put ULM back on top 38-37.

“We battled and just about stole this one on the road,” ULM coach Brooks Donald Williams said. “Lafayette is a very physical team, and for most of the game, we matched their physicality.” Playing well for most of the game doesn’t guarantee a win, and the fourth quarter showed that.

The game took a sudden twist with an 8-0 run for the Ragin’ Cajuns. After ULM cut the lead to four, UL-Lafayette sparked another run outscoring the Warhawks 12-4 within five minutes. ULM was outscored by nine points in the fourth quarter and lost by a final score of 66-58.

The key statistic that doomed the Warhawks was the 24 turnovers committed- the most in a Sun Belt conference game this season. Sophomore guard Bre Sutton led the team in scoring with 12 points, three rebounds and three steals. While Thursday night featured a thrilling matchup, Saturday’s game against Texas State (16-7; 8-4) was less dramatic. The Bobcats raced out to a 15-7 lead before the Warhawks shortened the lead to four. The quarter ended with a 20-14 score. The second quarter saw ULM take the lead at one point, but the Bobcats quickly retook control with a 10-2 run. Five Texas State free throws to end the half put it up by 10. ULM fought in the second half, but as the game went on, the Bobcats started to pull away. Texas State won by a margin of 18 points. The Warhawks are now 1-7 over their last eight games. They have also lost four-straight on the road.