Offensive woes lead to road losses for ULM

Maggie Eubanks, News Editor

A stifled offense led the Warhawks (19-17, 3-5) to drop the series to the South Alabama Jaguars (24-10, 7-1) over the weekend. ULM only scored one run in two games combined as it was kept off the board in game one losing 6-0. On Saturday, the Warhawks dropped the game 2-1. 

Opportunities to score for the Warhawks were scarce as they only had three baserunners in game one off two hits and a walk. One of those hits came in the first inning, with junior outfielder Lourdes Bacon hitting a single to left center field. She advanced into scoring position off a stolen base, but she was left stranded. 

The second baserunner for ULM came in the second inning when sophomore Jacelyn Buck hit a double off the outfield wall. But just like Bacon, she was left stranded on the base path. 

The Warhawks did not have another runner until the seventh inning when junior Ashlan Ard was walked. But she was the only production for ULM in the inning, so the Jaguars completed the seven-inning shutout. 

South Alabama scored its six runs off ten hits and two errors from the Warhawks. The Jaguars scored one run in the third, four in the fourth and one in the sixth inning. ULM had no answer for the loud bats South Alabama brought to the game. 

On Saturday, Ard got to touch every base when she hit a home run in the seventh inning, scoring the only run for the Warhawks. ULM put up more of a fight in this game with six baserunners off three hits and a few walks. 

Unfortunately for the Warhawks, this fight came a little too late, as three of those six baserunners came in the top of the seventh inning. The Jaguars scored one run in the first off an RBI single and one run in the fifth off of two errors by the ULM defense. 

Maddie Nichols took the loss for ULM in the game after pitching three innings where she allowed four hits and two earned runs. She walked five Jaguars and had no strikeouts. 

Victoria Abrams pitched in the circle for ULM in game two, where she allowed eight hits and one earned run. She struck out four batters in the loss and only walked two Jaguars. 

The Warhawks have now lost five games in a row and have lost seven out of the last eight games.

ULM will be back in action at home on Tuesday when it takes on north Louisiana rival Louisiana Tech at 6 p.m.