Warhawks shut down Southeastern

Katherine Babin

A clean sheet and two goals against Southeastern keep the ULM women’s soccer team undefeated and boost its record to 4-0-2. 

This win snaps a 10-match winless streak against the Lions, the first win since 2005.

Junior defender Inge Konst recorded her fourth goal of the season off a penalty kick in the 14th minute of the match. 

She holds a spotless career record of six goals on six attempts for the category and is already tied for first for penalty kicks in a single season with three.

“For me […] the most important thing is to not think about it and to just do it,” Konst said. 

“You have to be able to handle the pressure, and that is something you won’t be able to recreate in practice.”

Konst shares the single season penalty kick record with Amanda Wing in 2004 and Cindy Barker in 2003. 

Libby Holmes, a freshman defender, pushed the lead to two to close the half, picking up her first career goal. A corner kick from Lena Göppel met a horde of players. Holmes found the ball, took a shot and sent the ball flying to the back of the net.

Despite not putting up any more points, the second half demonstrated ULM’s ability to control the pace of the game. 

Sophomore midfielder Samantha Maudsley saw more time on the pitch and noted how she’s improved.

“Having adjusted and grown super close with the girls has built up my confidence,” Maudsley said. “Everyone is motivating and pushing each other to our potential, and the culture we have makes the game come easy.”

ULM dominated the stat sheet, recording 15 shots, eight on goal, compared to SELA’s 10 shots, three on goal. The Warhawks also had 10 corner kicks to the Lions’ six.

The women’s soccer team travels to Grambling on Thursday for the 15th meeting of the two schools. ULM claims the series record by a large margin, winning 10 of 14 meetings.

Conference play begins shortly after with ULM traveling to Huntington, West Virginia to face the Thundering Herd.