Warhawk Wardrobe kicks off donation drive

Katherine Babin

ULM’s Office of Career and Student Development hosted a Donation Drive Kickoff event on Wednesday to raise awareness about the Warhawk Wardrobe and how the campus community can help the program. 

The donation drive invited students to learn about the closet and what it provides for them. It also let the faculty and community know that they will be taking donations from now until their fall cleanout in November.

ULM First Lady Christine Berry created the Warhawk Wardrobe in collaboration with Vice President of Student Affairs Valerie Fields and the Career & Student Development Office. 

The closet gives students access to formal outfits they can wear to job interviews, career fairs and other events that require professional attire that not all students have.

Fields spoke about the impact that the wardrobe has on the student body. 

“It has been a great experience for our students.” she said. “They really have had great opportunities to come and receive professional attire that was donated by over 70 members of our faculty, staff and our community members.”

Executive Director of Career and Student Development Kristen Chandler explained that the event took place due to a significant clothing donation made recently by the ULM President and First Lady.

“Sometimes students may not have the means, whether the transportation or the money to get the professional attire they need,” she said, “so we provide that right here on campus and hopefully we can help them find a complete outfit for free.”

After the initial get together and the introduction from the speakers, students were welcome to explore the wardrobe and find something to take home. 

“For business majors, like me especially, you need to look the part to get your dream job. It gives you confidence to dress professionally,” Trey Williams said. He was able to find a gray suit with a purple interior, along with a matching tie and shirt to complete his look.

Thanks to the donations of the faculty, staff, community and even other students, the Warhawk Wardrobe has continued to grow and offer more students the opportunity to dress for success. 

The Warhawk Wardrobe gives students a free option to find a full career styled outfit, so many can look the part for any business professional event that they may attend.