NAACP walk raises support, awareness for breast cancer

Beau Benoit

ULM’s chapter of the NAACP held a walk around campus on Tuesday to raise breast cancer awareness.

Students and faculty gathered at Bayou Park, prepared to walk in their best pink attire. Before the walk started, NAACP members handed out pink ribbons for supporters to pin to their clothing. 

The group walked across the pedestrian bridge, proceeded to Warhawk Village and returned through the main campus bridge. 

Attendees were encouraged to go for as many laps as they wanted, but the group stopped in Bayou Circle before starting to walk again. 

The NAACP also made sure water and snacks were available for anyone participating. 

ULM NAACP President Key’Aira Lewis said the chapter’s Health and Wellness Committee heads, David McDaniel and Raven LaBlanc, came up with the idea and planned the awareness walk.  

NAACP member Shiari German is also on the Health and Wellness Committee. 

German said that a lot of people showed up, and it was a good opportunity for the people in her committee to connect. She said she could see the NAACP hosting another event like this in the future. 

Lewis said these events show support for those who have been through breast cancer, those who lost their lives and those who are continuing to fight the battle.

According to the CDC, breast cancer is the second most common cancer among women in the U.S., and Black women die from breast cancer at a higher rate than white women.

Many women have felt and continue to feel the effects of breast cancer. This is why it is important to be aware of the warning signs of breast cancer and speak openly with your doctor if you have concerns.

According to the American Cancer Society, there have been at least 4,000 recorded new cases of breast cancer in Louisiana in 2023, with about 700 female breast cancer-related deaths throughout the year.

Some NAACP members worked at a table handing out pink bracelets while encouraging those who were participating in the walk. 

Freshman business administration major Wesley Foster heard about the event from a friend and joined the walk to show support.

“I think it gives a lot of people a sense of confidence and allows them to open up about their own issues outside of the campus itself,” Foster said.