Trunk or Treat invites families to university for Halloween

Katherine Babin

As a coat of darkness covers the sky, people of all ages flock to one of the biggest Halloween events on campus. 

Students passed out candy to children and their families at ULM’s annual Trunk or Treat hosted by the Office of Career and Student Development on Monday at the Activity Center.  

Trunk or Treat is usually held outside, where families go from decorated trunk to trunk with the many RSOs passing out candy. Due to the weather, the event was moved inside of the Activity Center in the main gym.   

Even in the rain, friends and family traveled to ULM to celebrate Halloween with a twist on traditional trick-or-treating. 

While the event’s location did change, that didn’t stop the trick-or-treaters from showing up. The participating children dressed in an assortment of costumes including witches, princesses, ninjas and superheroes.    

Student organizations, fraternities and sororities decorated tables for the event. One of the tables had a spooky laboratory theme with organization members wearing matching lab coats. Another group had a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-themed table complete with munchkins and Willy Wonka himself. 

Each organization had its table where they passed out candy. This made it easier for children to make their way around the room and pick up treats along the way. 

The room filled with delight as families circled the room to marvel at the furnished tables, see the fabulous costumes and grab as much candy as possible.   

Aiden Gager, a freshman computer information systems major and member of Tau Omicron Chi, said he wanted to be a part of the event for the community experience.    

“I haven’t had opportunities to participate in events like these,” Gager said. “I wanted to connect with those in the area. I think community events bring us closer.” 

This event gives RSO members time to relax and a chance to build a stronger bond with their peers.   

“This is the fifth year of ULM’s Trunk or Treat, the first year since COVID-19,” ULM Student Activity Coordinator Sidney Jones said. “Our main goal is for the kids to come back to the university.”    

Trunk or Treat provides a safe environment for families and young children to have fun.  

Parents like Bridgitte Pennington agree. “Local trunk or treating is a much safer alternative from traditional door to door,” She said. “It’s a great thing to see college students interacting with their communities.”