Letter from the editors

Pixabay

And now for us, the famous final scene.

As we put our names on paper for the final time in The Hawkeye, we want to reflect on our time here. 

Between the three of us, we’ve contributed nearly 300 articles across the paper. As a group, we’ve served in every editorial position. 

Somewhere between the long weeks and the late nights in Stubbs 131, we found time to laugh, bond and have fun. Our often caffeine-influenced Saturdays gave way to a little fun as we sort through the week’s events. We never fail to find something (or someone) to be the punchline of our jokes. 

Unsurprisingly, we came out as friends through it all.

Our contributions are measurable, but the time and dedication we’ve given is immeasurable. 

It’s been a blast. For some of us, it’s the late-night football or basketball games that we looked forward to. Others lived to hear the most unique stories that this campus has to offer. 

But we all seemed to love the thrill of not knowing where story leads us.

We’ve taken our roles as student journalists and editors seriously to deliver news and coverage you often can’t find anywhere else.

We’ve run roughshod through campus each week from the peak of the pandemic until now. We’ve seen the world and campus change before our eyes.  

At times, we’ve exhausted ourselves to make sure everything’s in order. 

You’d be baffled at how much organization and attention to detail it takes for each issue to hit the stands. 

You probably think this is a lot of work, and we agree. If you ask us why we’ve done this for years, it’s a simple answer. 

We do it all for you.

Sure, there’s the thrill from awards we’ve won for our work. We hold onto those accolades dearly. There’s prestige that comes with our jobs that dates back almost as far as the university’s history. Something about being the latest in a long line of people not unlike yourselves always leaves an interesting feeling.

But more than all of that, we’ve been humbled and proud to bring you the news each week. That’s what kept us excited for each issue. 

And we thank you for it.