ULM recognizes local veterans at ceremony

Carley Nail

ULM hosted its annual Veterans Day Appreciation Ceremony on Thursday, honoring and celebrating veterans in the community. 

The ceremony recognized all who had enlisted and served in the U.S. and gave students an opportunity to show their appreciation.  

A few international students even showed support by wearing their uniforms from their country. 

ULM alum Tim Sherman acted as the guest speaker for the event.  

Sherman served as a helicopter pilot in the United States Marine Corps, later working for the U.S. Customs Service and retiring from United Parcel Service Airlines in 2020. He also is a member of the board at the Chennault Aviation and Military Museum.  

Sherman focused on the sacrifices that people in the military make when serving and the importance of understanding what they have endured.   

“They have given up a lot of their time and comfort for a purpose,” Sherman said. “That purpose is for me, and it’s for you.” 

Sherman ended his speech by encouraging veterans to share their stories with those around them, such as their friends and family.  

After Sherman’s speech, veterans in attendance were recognized by name. Students, faculty and community members who served received a pin, a coffee mug and a ticket to the Warhawks’ last home game on Saturday as a gift of appreciation. 

Sherman presented the veterans with their pins before they went to shake hands and take a picture with ULM President Ronald Berry. 

Wes Whitaker, a veteran with over 20 years of service in the United States Air Force, revealed that his interest in the event stemmed from a family connection — a nephew attending ULM.  

Whittaker said that even though he feels that a thank you isn’t necessary, he is encouraged to see that people still support veterans. 

“We all did it for our own reasons, selfish or not. But it does warm my heart to know people out there still support us,” Whitaker said.  

The event honored the sacrifices made by veterans and provided a platform for students to engage with those who have served in the military. 

Sophomore pre-pharmacy student Zack Vandagriff attended the event and appreciated the effort to salute those who served. 

“Honoring our veterans is one of the most important things we could do. After all, we are named the Warhawks,” Vandagriff said.