Professor arrested after alleged wiretapping

Tribune Content Agency

Chad Lewing, a 48-year-old ULM psychology professor, was arrested on Nov. 8 on two counts of wiretapping. 

The ULM Police Department received a call on Wednesday morning about a wiretapping complaint, after a graduate student and another professor said they found two recording devices on the bottom of their office doors.

According to arrest records, the first device was found when it fell off of a professor’s office door onto the floor. The second recording device was found after searching the graduate assistant’s office door.

ULM PD stationed themselves and conducted surveillance, assuming the suspect would return for their devices. Lewing was later revealed as a suspect.

Lewing allegedly showed up to work two hours early on Wednesday and was the only person in the building besides two officers. 

At around 5:30 a.m. Lewing was apprehended while attempting to remove the devices, according to ULM PD. 

The investigation shows that a Title IX complaint was made against Lewing in the spring of 2023. It appeared that Lewing was recording those involved with the Title IX complaint to get information, according to arrest records.

Lewing was arrested and booked into the Ouachita Correctional Center on two counts of wire-tapping prohibited; penalty. He has since posted his bond of $1,000.

Lewing is set to appear in the 4th Judicial District Court on Monday, Nov. 13.