Breaking down the ballot

Pexels

​​Though most states have wrapped up their elections for the year, Louisiana voters will return to the polls on Saturday.

In the first election in October, voters got their choice for statewide positions in the jungle primary, as well as four constitutional amendments. This weekend, runoffs and four more amendments are on the ballot.

In the governor race, since Attorney General Jeff Landry received more than 50% of the vote, he was elected governor in the first round. Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser was also elected without the need for a second vote.

In the attorney general race, Liz Murill (R) came just shy of the 50% needed to avoid a runoff, earning 45% of the vote. Her Democratic opponent, Lindsey Cheek, received just 24%.

John Fleming (R) also fell short in the treasurer election, earning 44% of the first-round votes. He will be running against Dustin Granger (D), who got 32% in the first round.

One of the most highly contested races in the primary was the secretary of state election. Nancy Landry (R) came out on top with 19.3% of the vote, barely finishing in front of Gwen Collins-Greenup (D), who received 19.2%.

There are four new constitutional amendments on the ballot this week as well.

Amendment No. 1 would support making it easier for the state legislature to override a governor’s veto in the middle of a regular legislative session.

According to Louisiana’s Public Affairs Research Council, Amendment No. 2 will “Remove six inactive funds with zero or near-zero balances from the Louisiana Constitution.”

The PAR also says that Amendment No. 3 would allow parishes to give extra tax breaks to first responders who live and work in their parish.

Amendment No. 4 seeks to restrict the rules on Louisiana’s Revenue Stabilization Trust Fund by restricting the amount that can be drawn in an emergency to prevent the fund from being drawn all at once to balance a budget.

Early voting has already ended for this election, but Election Day voting takes place on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.