Free-throw, 3-point contest lets students relax, engage

Just because winter break ended doesn’t mean the fun needs to stop as well. To kick off the spring semester’s intramural schedule, the Department of Recreational Services held a free-throw and 3-point contest Wednesday evening. Contestants received nine 3-pointer attempts and 10 free-throw attempts. Winners could choose between a variety of items, such as shirts, beanies, shorts and even backpacks.

The men’s winner was senior social work major Joshua Owusu, making 8-of-10 free-throws and 6-of-9 3-pointers. 

“I feel like my free-throws were impressive, but my 3-pointers, I could’ve done a lot better,” Osusu said. “That’s what I’m trying to work on this year, but I think I did a good job.”

Owusu said he’s been playing basketball since he was seven, and after five years at ULM, he has enjoyed playing different basketball-related intramurals.

“I’ve been here since 2019, and I love to do it,” Owusu said. “It should be something bigger, that way new students, like freshmen who don’t really know the campus or how to use resources, can find out as well.”

The women’s winner was senior kinesiology major Carlee McVay, making 7-of-10 free-throws and 3-of-9 3-pointers.

Many of the women’s contestants participated because of their sorority, for example sophomore math education major Avery Jones. She said that despite missing a couple baskets, she still enjoyed participating. 

“It was just something for fun,” Jones said. “I came in and didn’t do very good, but it was okay.”

Jones added she thinks this event, and intramural sports as a whole, acted as a great way for students to get involved on campus. 

“It’s really a good way to get to know more classmates, peers and people you wouldn’t know just from going to class,” Jones said.

Jones said she hopes to get more involved during the semester, and intramurals like the free-throw contest helped her do just that.

The event lasted from 4:30-7:00 p.m., and people entered the multi-purpose gym intermittently. A majority of participants were groups of friends, either there to heckle their peers for a good laugh or to show off their skills on the court. 

The expertise of students ranged from professional athlete to never before picking up a basketball. It made no difference if the shot was a swish or a miss as everyone seemed to get a kick out of the event.

Whether cheering for friends after getting nothing but net or playfully laughing at an air ball, students could even enjoy the contest from off the courts. Junior risk management and insurance major Mia Rodriguez said that’s how she plans to participate in intramurals such as the free-throw contest throughout the semester.

“I won’t play, but I’m ready to watch everyone else,” Rodriguez said.

And even though she wasn’t exactly Angela Reese at the Activity Center, Rodriguez said she had fun either way.

“I wasn’t the best,” Rodriguez said. “I made a 3-pointer, but I would definitely come back and do it again.”