US, Iran exchange series of drone strikes

ISRAEL-HAMAS+WAR%3A+The+war+in+Gaza+continues+to+divide+world+powers%2C+contributing+to+conflict+between+U.S.+and+Iran.+
Tribune Content Agency
ISRAEL-HAMAS WAR: The war in Gaza continues to divide world powers, contributing to conflict between U.S. and Iran.

A drone attacked a U.S. military base in Jordan on Jan. 28, killing three U.S. service members and wounding more than 30 troops. The attack comes amid rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran over the Israel-Hamas war. 

According to CNN, “the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group for several Iran-backed militias in the country, said it attacked a number of places along the Jordan-Syria border on Sunday — including a camp near the U.S. base in Jordan where soldiers were killed.”

A representative of the Islamic Republic of Iran told the Islamic Republic News Agency at the United Nations on Jan. 28 that Iran had no connection to the deadly attack on U.S. military base.

Sunday’s drone attack was the first time American personnel have been killed since the Israel-Hamas war began on Oct. 7.

President Joe Biden responded by sending a drone strike on key military facilities in Iraq and Syria on Feb. 2. The strike targeted the Iranian-backed militias’ headquarters, armories and weapon facilities.

“Our response began today. It will continue at times and places of our choosing,” Biden said. “Let all those who might seek to do us harm know this: If you harm an American, we will respond.”

The drone attack comes after weeks of efforts to keep the Israel-Hamas war from spreading throughout the region. This act of assault thrusts the U.S. into the war as Biden retaliates against the groups responsible for the attack. Iran pledged support to the Hamas while the U.S. worked on the Israel and Hamas hostage deal.

According to The Intercept, “a January U.S. Air Force personnel memo…describes military orders to be ‘on standby to forward deploy to support troops in the case of on-ground U.S. involvement in the Israel-Hamas war…’”

The U.S. military reportedly ordered 2 thousand troops to prepare for deployment in countries neighboring Israel. The order acknowledged the potential escalation of the Israel-Hamas war.

View Comments (1)