LifeShare hosts crucial blood drive on campus

LifeShare Blood Center returned to campus last week to host a blood drive in the Hangar. Partnering with the ULM School of Medical Laboratory Science, LifeShare encouraged students to donate a few pints and save a life.

The theme of the drive this semester was “be a difference maker.” The idea behind the drive was that students can be a positive influence on their peers by donating blood.

They can show others how easy it can be to make a difference for those in need. Because there is such a stigma around donating blood, it is important for those who donated blood to share their experience.

Junior medical laboratory science major Lakayja Dupree donated blood to contribute to her community. She described why she is always eager to donate despite many people being afraid. She trusts that LifeShare will take care of her during the process.

“When I donate, I know I’m contributing to saving someone’s life that will need my blood,” Dupree said. “The workers always make you feel comfortable and make sure you’re okay throughout the process, and it really doesn’t take much time at all.”

The School of Medical Laboratory Science often helps with the drive because MLS students understand the importance of getting donations. These students are the first on campus to know when there is a blood shortage, and they can help to get other students involved in the drives. Senior medical laboratory science student Dylan Anderson explained why it is essential for students to give blood if they can.

“Giving just one unit of blood can be the difference between life and death for some people,” Anderson said. “Don’t be afraid to give blood. Just make sure you’re living a healthy lifestyle in order to donate.”

Amidst a blood shortage, many patients are not able to receive the life-saving care they need. LifeShare is doing what it can to receive donations and educate younger donors about the impact they can make.

Jeremy Martin, LifeShare’s district director for North Louisiana, explained why blood drives on campus are so beneficial.

“We really like to partner with the campus because most of our donor base is the 40 and up age group,” Martin said. “We want to create that opportunity for the younger generation to make an impact and learn how they can help in the future.”

ULM partners with LifeShare multiple times throughout the year, allowing students and staff to donate easily. Look out for the next blood drive on campus, and take the time to donate if you can.